The classified documents found at Mar-a-Lago and Biden’s Delaware residence have been all over the news lately. It’s the kind of story I usually try to avoid. It’s too depressing to read about how full of idiots our government is. But the headlines have been everywhere, so I have questions. Maybe someone following the story more closely than I can help.
- How easy is it to just take any document out of the White House, let alone classified documents? I used to work in retail, and we had a bag check policy. No one could leave the building without showing a supervisor what was in their bag. It seems like the White House is less secure than a defunct bookstore.
- Why would Biden want classified documents in his private residence? I could see the last guy. He might’ve wanted to sell them or maybe just keep them to brag about to his friends. Biden doesn’t seem like that type.
- What kind of tracking system does the government have? How long does it take them to realize documents are missing?
- Who is responsible for keeping track of the classified documents? This must be someone’s job. Who audits the White House?
- How common is it for presidents to take classified documents home? Is it just a weird fluke that the current president and the one before him did it? Did Obama, Bush, and Clinton do it, too, but we never found out about it? Is it like actors taking props from the set after filming?
- Are there any legitimate reasons for taking documents to a private residence? I understand that being president is a 24 hour a day job, but that’s why they live in the White House.
Those are my most pressing questions. I know I could read all the news stories, but I really don’t want to. Any help would be appreciated.